Monday, March 24, 2014

Jacob 2:35

This is a really difficult post to read. Lyndsi ran into some trouble with a less active member being inappropriate towards her and her companion. Please pray for her and her companions safety. -Nicole 
Kia Ora Family!
It was so good to read your letters this week! It was a long but successful week out here on the mission. We are teaching lots of people and doing lots of service! The best story this week was probably with this little old lady named Gayle. She is 75 years old and we have talked to her a few times and has never been interested. We saw her working in her garden a couple weeks ago though and basically begged to come help. So finally this Tuesday Sister Isnard the Elders and I went over and helped her for two hours clean up her yard. After she asked us all why we would do such a crazy things such as to help clean a yard for free. We all got to bear our testimony to her and we gave her a Book of Mormon to read. We haven't been able to see her since but I hope she reads it!

We had exchanges with the Sister Training leader this week which was lots of fun and a much needed break for Sister Isnard and I. We are getting along ok but still adjusting to the different cultures. I have been praying for a lot of humility and patience this week!

We also had our first interviews with President Rudd since I have been here. It was pretty short and sweet but it was good.
I often feel as though I will never be a good enough missionary and our zone leaders act as if we make one mistake were going straight to you know where (..I think it was cause he was raised as a military brat!lol) But I think I am doing the best I can and it is just Satan hoping for me to get discouraged and fail. Which is about how I felt on Saturday.
One of our less actives this week did something that really disturbed me though.  He is in his forties is married with four kids and we have been working with their family quite a bit. They have come back to church the last couple of weeks but this week we got a surprise text from him to come meet with his less active brother so we ran over to meet with him and got a surprise when we arrived. They were both drinking and we found ourselves in a very uncomfortable situation. He kept saying this is the side of me you have never got to see, and he was being flirty and it took us about ten minutes to talk our way into getting out of there but when we went to leave he took my hand and wouldn't let go and said some stupid things. He later kept texting stupid things like "only God can judge me." I didn't say anything to him in the situation because it would have been dangerous to make them mad we were behind a house with them by ourselves, but I had a lot I wish I could have told him. But the thing that really kept running through my head was this scripture in Jacob 2:35  "Behold, ye have done greater iniquities than the Lamanites, our brethren. Ye have broken the hearts of your tender wives, and lost the confidence of your children, because of your bad examples before them; and the sobbings of their hearts ascend up to God against you. And because of the strictness of the word of God, which cometh down against you, many hearts died, pierced with deep wounds." If only he knew how much his stupid actions were hurting his wife and children at home. If he would stop being so selfish and just do the things that he knows is right and let God change and heal his heart. He may not think that his actions effect anyone but himself but I know that they hurt his family and they hurt me too. In the Proclamation to the World it says:
“… By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families. Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children. In these sacred responsibilities, fathers and mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners. …
“We warn that individuals who violate covenants of chastity, who abuse spouse or offspring, or who fail to fulfill family responsibilities will one day stand accountable before God. Further, we warn that the disintegration of the family will bring upon individuals, communities, and nations the calamities foretold by ancient and modern prophets.”
 
I really do love this work and I know that no matter what Satan tries he will not be able to stop it from moving forward. It is so important to choose whose side you are on because if you have not chosen the Lords side you are automatically on the other team.
 I know that when the people we are teaching are ready for the gospel that God will make up for what we as missionaries lack as long as we try to be better and work a little bit harder every day! I love you all!
Love, Sister Miggin

No comments:

Post a Comment